The 40th annual William Carlos Williams poetry competition, hosted by the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED), opens on September 1, 2021 and will accept submissions through December 31, 2021. Please read the submission guidelines below before submitting your work. The Wick Poetry Center at Kent State University will select the winning poems.
Each year this national competition receives hundreds entries. The top three prize-winning poets will receive a monetary award ($300, $200, and $100 for first, second, and third place, respectively) and their poems will be considered for publication in the Journal of Medical Humanities. In addition, the first-, second-, and third-place prize winners are invited to NEOMED as featured readers in the annual awards ceremony in April. (Travel expenses are paid by NEOMED’s Department of Family and Community Medicine.)
Consult NEOMED's poetry competition website for more information and please direct all queries to email@example.com.
- Online submissions must be received before midnight (eastern time) on December 31, 2021.
- All entries will undergo blind review and should contain no identifying information other than the title of the poem.
- Students may submit up to three poems per entry (one poem per page).
- Each poem is not to exceed 750 words.
- Poems must be written in English and can reﬂect medical as well as non-medical subjects.
- Entrants must be enrolled in programs leading to the Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree in the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished (except for college publications), and must not have won a contest at the time of submission.
- Previous monetary winners of the William Carlos Williams poetry competition are not eligible to compete again in academic year 2021-2022.