The Wick Poetry Center is now accepting poetry submissions as part of the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the May 4 shootings. The poems should resonate with the themes of peace, conflict transformation, and student advocacy.
We are accepting submissions in three categories: youth (K-12), adult student, or adult non-student.
Poet, songwriter, and novelist, Naomi Shihab Nye, will select one winner from each category who will receive $500 and a possibility to read their poems at Kent State during the May 4 Music and Poetry Event on April 21. Two poets will receive honorable mention prizes for $250 and a possibility to read their poems at Kent State during the April 21 event. All winners will have their poems set to a musical composition by students in the Kent State University School of Music.
We will accept submissions from September 1 - December 15, 2019.
1. Poems must be written in English
2. Poems must not have been previously published
3. Submit just one poem no more than 100 lines long
4. The poets name or identifying information is not to appear on the poem. Your contact information will be collected on the submissions form.
5. Winners will be announced in January, 2020.